Thursday, August 25, 2005

August 25

We are one day from show time. What I have noticed is that all the groups have overlapping projects. We made a stop motion animation sequence and so did another group. We are digging in the field outside as part of our performance, and another group is doing the same. I wonder if Cesta has ever had a shovel shortage before? Also, I worry about the dance group that is performing in the same field. They better tape their ankles.

Last night we filmed a section of the Madillah video in the town square. It was around 23.00 and we attracted a lot of attention. The police followed us and I thought we were going to get arrested. I totally forgot how to say, ¨I am an artist¨ The only Czech phrase I could remember was, ¨please, may I pay the check¨. Which was not very useful. Fortunately, the police never stopped us and we got a lot of good footage of the police following Madillah as we loped through the town square. I found out later that everybody was watching us film, and I think they would have come to rescue us.

My piece is almost assembled. I have made Spirit Monuments using text applied onto beer bottles. There are 16 monuments and they have all been translated into Czech. I know it sounds a little prosaic but the bottles read like labels and they turned out really well. I am just not sure how to explain my project to my funders. I am totally excited by being translated into Czech. Later, I would love to come back here and work with a Czech co-writer. Perferably Petra who translated and co-wrote the monument piece.

I am preparing to leave Cesta. To leave this crazy social experiment. Yesterday, I sat at the breakfast table and listened to a French artists translate a question from German into Italian and then into English. It was another of many Cesta moments.

I have learned a lot of things about myself as well as the group I am working with. I learned how to compromise more. To give up control and to trust others, and I also made some art while I was here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

our presentasion was really nice,i injoy it,throwing shoes from the window and finaly my small mobile house of paper and then baring them into the groung wearing a mask with hornes
everzthing seems like a dream now
i am writingfrom a cafe in kroasia

3:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home