Saturday, August 13, 2005

August 13

It is late and everybody here is in the dining hall watching Paris Texas on DVD. I have been trying to book a hostel for all of us to go to Prague and Kunta Hora. It is funny that for all of the struggling and infighting and other group disfunctions, we all want to travel together. Perhaps we just want to keep an eye on each other.

Sometimes Cesta feels like a cross between Fame and Survivor. Pardon my TV reference but it comes closest to describing collaboration at CESTA.

Some of our group, and a innocent bystander, had a discussion of what spirit means to them (the Cesta theme is Spirit Matters). It was incredibly interesting to hear people talking about spirits and to hear us trying to take in each other's language and way of being in the world. For one, spirit is life, for another spirit is meaningless (actually for quite a few). I said that I didn't need to define it.

Spirit just strikes me as one of those words that means everything and nothing and that words would only serve to diminish and make the subject boring. I know it sounds odd coming from a writer but I think that science can define things of the material world but I have no interest in naming those things of the spirit, Anyway, we all sat around in a circle in the centre of the attic, trying to understand what each of us was talking about. It was kind of funny with the difficulties of language, of concept, of approach and, ultimately, understanding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home