Thursday, August 18, 2005

August 18

We travelled as a groupto Kunta Hora and Praha. Later in Praha, we broke away from the group, and suddenly I felt so small. I had a real low point where I just wanted to be home. Praha was too much. I sat in the largest of the large town squares, confronted by Renaissance, Gothic, Baroque, and just all this architecture closing in on me. At some point I found the only bad view in Praha, so I sat there and stared at this ugly parking lot for a good 10 minutes.

All the time I was alone, I wanted to be back with the group, but the old group problems presented themselves as soon as we were back together. The group is working together better but there came a point a few nights ago where I had to confess that I was unhappy and feeling excluded.

Have you ever noticed that when you tell people that you are unhappy, the first thing they do (and I am the first to confess doing this) is they try and talk you out of feeling that way. I realize it is an attempt to make you feel better which is nice.

Today we had a good meeting. We are close to titling our project Spirit Monuments, or at any rate this is essentially the theme and the approach of our project. It will consist of an inner room and gallery space along with a wall space and a yard area. We will have an installed section and a performance section. We will photograph all of us standing on a pedestall and later will have a shadow theatre outside on the wall where people can go and create shadow monuments. At the end of the performance we will have a character bury the objects we created. We will have a few short videos installed in two rooms. One of us making shadow monuments at the church and another of Golem characters. It seems a little scattered now but it made sense earlier today.

So far, I have been struggling with how to bring what I know to do to the group project which is writing and text mapping, and another member of the group has decided that she is going do some of those things, so what do you do? ˝I want to make the map, and you can work on it if you like.˝ I asked the group ˝... well, what do I do if I want to write text and make a text map because this is what I do? I am not a installation artist but am I supposed to make installations? or wait for stray things to do? help others?˝ So what is collaboration?

I have tried to take down the tension, because I have been feeling really challenged. For a while I tried withdrawing but that only increased tension and the show went on without me, so I am back but fumbling feeling good at times and pissed off at others. So is this collaboration?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pouf
collaboration is difficalt and even more if you are thinking of other people feelings
and we all know that.!
collaboration is to be inspired from other peoples ideas . collaboration is also the iniciative to propose something even if it will fall into the hole.
collaboration is to make different representacion of one subject.i like this,its a kind of freedom
i was asking you today if you have started a text or a map different than the blog,i didnt undertand your answer
i think its a nice thing to sare ideas
if you write a text or a map i would like to see it and maybe say my opinion,feel free to be exposed not like in the blog wich is like a memoria but like a creator,i need to hear more of your thoughts on the subgect becouse i found the pice of work that you gave as really intersting and i dont want to lose the chanse of working together.
m

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home